What kind of permit do I need to purchase mist nets?

Permit Requirements for Purchase of Mist Nets

Avinet policy is that we only sell mist nets for the purpose of ecological research, and only to customers who provide us with a copy of their federal or state-issued permit specifically authorizing use of mist nets to capture birds and bats. If you are purchasing on behalf of someone else, please make a note in the order comments who the nets are being purchased for and make sure that they are aware you are purchasing mist nets for them. We reserve the right to contact the permit holder to ensure that you are authorized to be purchasing equipment under their permit.
For the US, we accept the following:

  •  USGS Federal Bird Banding permits. Please specify if you are a subpermitee or the master permittee.
  •  US Fish & Wildlife Service federal permits for scientific collection. 
  •  State issued scientific collection permits (if exempt from federal permit)

Canada: Environment Canada permits

Australia: ABBBS Permits (Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme)

If you are not able to produce any of the permits above, we will accept on a case-by-case basis a formal letterhead issued by an official of the Ministry of Environment (or equivalent in your country) authorizing you to conduct research using mist nets in a given region. We will also accept on a case-by-case basis a formal letterhead issued by your supervisor, mentor, or head of office who can attest to your experience using mist nets and be responsible for any reports of misuse.

We do not under any circumstances sell mist nets to those engaged in pest control or bird mitigation services of any kind. Our nets are strictly for research and are not to be used by those who are not compliant with state and federal law.

Please consult us via email (orders@avinet.com) or give us a call at 1(888)284-6387 if you have any questions regarding what is appropriate for our permit requirements.